Sunday, August 17, 2014

Moving for Idiots 101

Needless to say, I think I have perfected Moving for Idiots.
Cross country moving is VERY expensive. $1600 more than we could have anticipated.

I could completely understand if we had been shopping before hand, but we barely bought enough snacks to start the trip. The cost of gas was ridiculous especially with a U-Haul and our own vehicle.

I could lay blame on a ton of different things or the organization that said they would be helping with $1600 worth of the U-Haul expense, but I won't. Take for full responsibility for piss poor planning on my part. I didn't research gas prices as well as I should have nor did I look into the best route to travel. I didn't plan enough food for the trip with 5 people and 4 dogs.

I am in debt up to my eyeballs and really screwed up, but I will work through this with many lessons learned. I have had to ask for help from family and friends and I never thought I would have to do that. I have had to skimp on feeding the kids decent meals for the last week, but they do have some food choices.

With all that said and out there...we will survive this and it could be much worse. There are lessons I have learned this month:

  1. Budget, Budget, Budget some More
  2. Plan for food
  3. Plan the best route possible
  4. Plan extra for food
  5. Set aside money
I would probably be in a mess still but just maybe not that big of a mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment